- USDA organic, CRC kosher
- No FODMAPS
- Naturally caffeine free, gluten free
- Chlorine free biodegradable plant fiber tea bag mesh
- High volatile oil, medicinal strength
- One teabag brews one strong cup
Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is a medical food for the dietary management of IBS symptoms. Peppermint is one of the oldest of herbs, with a cooling, calming effect. Clinical studies have shown that it is exceptionally beneficial for IBS abdominal pain and spasms, diarrhea, and urgency. Peppermint will not cause or worsen constipation.
Menthol and methyl salicylate, the main active ingredients of peppermint, have soothing effects on the stomach and intestinal tract. Internally, they have anti-spasmodic actions on the muscles of the stomach, intestinal tract, and uterus. Peppermint also has powerful analgesic (pain-killing) properties. Peppermint is naturally anti-bacterial, it increases gastric juices, and helps relieves gas, nausea, vomiting, and morning sickness. Peppermint contains essential oils that stimulate the gallbladder to secrete its store of bile, which the body uses to digest fats.
Relieve IBS pain, spasms, urgency
Immediate Bowel Soothing
Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is unique because it is formulated to contain a very large leaf size and a high volatile oil content. Both factors are integral to the quality and potency of peppermint when brewed as tea. Heather’s Tummy Tea is harvested and packed to be as fresh as possible, and it is processed for minimal volatile oil dissipation. It is the volatile oils in peppermint that make it so effective for the dietary management of IBS symptoms, particularly pain and spasms.
Heather’s Tummy Tea is packed in very generous quantities because it is meant to be used daily as a medical food for IBS. Brew a delicious cup of tea several times a day, every day, as part of your dietary management of IBS symptoms.
Heather’s Peppermint Tummy Tea is sourced and specially produced for IBS-specific purposes and results, in several ways:
* Extremely high volatile oil levels. Why does this matter? Because the volatile oil is the component within the tea that yields the medicinal benefits. The higher the volatile oil level, the stronger the cup of tea, and the greater the benefit for IBS symptoms.
Our peppermint crop can have a volatile oil content of 3%. This is extreme – a percentage of 1.8% to 2.0% is considered high!
You can actually see the oil rising to the surface of the peppermint leaves in the field. This is what our farmers watch for so they know when to harvest the fields at the optimum volatile oil level. When we were out in our fields in the fall right before harvest, the whole expanse of peppermint looked like it was glistening. It was not only beautiful, but the smell and taste of the fresh leaves was more potent than ever imagined.
* Very large leaf size (cut and sift grade, the largest cut available in the organic market). Other teabag brands use “teabag cut” herbs, which are very finely milled. This is so the tea will flow through teabag machines. But, the more finely you cut an herb, the more volatile oil is released and dissipated, and the weaker the final cup of brewed tea will be. (We actually customized our own teabag machines so that we could run large leaf peppermint through our machines.)
* Special jumbo-size teabags, which give an average of two to three times more tea per bag as other brands.
* USDA certified organic. This means, among other things, that our herbs are guaranteed free of: pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, GMO (genetically modified organisms), preservatives, additives, irradiation, and there is no animal testing.
Organic materials and processing are significantly more expensive. But, our tea prices are actually significantly less expensive than non-organic brands.
In addition, a comprehensive review of 97 published studies (published as the “State of Science Review” by The Organic Center) comparing the nutritional quality of organic and conventional foods has shown that organic plants contain higher levels of 8 of 11 nutrients studied, including significantly greater concentrations of the health-promoting polyphenols and antioxidants. This review concluded that organically grown plants are 25% more nutrient dense, on average, than conventionally grown plants.
* Packed in very generous quantities, as this tea is meant to be used daily for IBS symptoms. We offer 36 Peppermint Tummy Teabags per canister. This is 3-4 times more teabags per container than other brands, which means you will have enough tea on hand to use it regularly, which is how it works best for IBS.
The end result? Peppermint Tummy Tea is exponentially stronger and more effective, and a better value, than other brands.
Peppermint Tummy Tea is the only brand of medicinal strength peppermint tea for IBS we’re aware of, and one sip is all it takes to tell the difference.
Mint is one of the oldest of herbs. It was used by the ancient Assyrians, and was common to the ancient Greeks and Romans, who recognized its pain-killing properties. The mint-after-a meal custom in fact dates back to ancient Rome, and Pliny, the first-century Roman historian and scientist, included mint in his Natural History in 77 A.D. Mint was not used formally in medicine until the mid-18th century, but mint tea has been a favorite cure for indigestion since Biblical times. Modern peppermint is actually a hybrid of water mint and spearmint, and has stronger medicinal properties than either of the two originating plants.
Peppermint tea is extremely useful for IBS cramps and relieving painful abdominal spasms. Peppermint is anti-bacterial, increases gastric juices, and helps relieves gas and nausea. Peppermint also contains essential oils that stimulate the gallbladder to secrete its store of bile, which the body uses to digest fats. This makes Heather’s Tummy Tea ~ Organic Peppermint a wonderful digestive aid for heavy meals. It also improves the function of the muscles that line the stomach and intestines, relieves diarrhea (it will not cause or worsen constipation), and has a calming, numbing effect on the entire GI tract.
We personally find peppermint to be the strongest IBS anti-spasmodic and pain reliever of all the Tummy Teas, and really appreciate its noticeable whole-body mild anesthetic effect, particularly when it’s brewed very strong.
Brew Heather’s Tummy Tea with boiling water, but do not actually boil the teabags or loose tea in water as this can destroy its volatile oils, and thus its effectiveness. Peppermint tea (like all of Heather’s Tummy Teas™) is naturally caffeine-free, as it does not contain any actual tea leaves (tea is a specific plant, even though other herbal drinks are commonly called “teas”).
Peppermint tea can be sweetened with a little honey or plain sugar if you wish but I also think it’s delicious plain. It can be chilled into iced tea, but remember that ice-cold beverages on an empty stomach can trigger GI spasms, whereas the heat in hot teas is in and of itself a muscle relaxant. The stronger the peppermint tea, the more pronounced its beneficial effects on your digestion, so don’t be afraid to make a dark brew! Peppermint is classified as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA – there are no limitations on its use as a daily digestive aid.
“What does it mean that Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is certified organic?”
Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is certified organic and therefore uses:
* no pesticides
* no fertilizer
* no herbicides
* no GMO (genetically modified organisms)
* no preservatives
* no additives
* no irradiation
* no animal testing
Organic certification guarantees that our peppermint is harvested with:
* good ecology – enriched soil, less soil erosion
* harvested through farming which respects the environment
* traceability of each batch demonstrated from the fields to the customer
* organic certified farming/harvesting
* organic certified manufacturing and packaging
* USDA organic certified
* organic certified by Quality Assurance International
“Certified organic” refers to agricultural products that have been grown and processed according to strict uniform standards, verified annually by independent state or private organizations. These organizations’ certifying seals are your guarantee that Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint has been third-party certified organic.
Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is certified organic right from the fields. After harvest, the peppermint is assigned its organic identification, which follows the peppermint through the entire packing and shipping process. This organic traceability is carried directly through to our customers by our certifying agency, Quality Assurance International. Heather’s Tummy Tea Peppermint is also USDA organic certified.
- Pour 8 ounces boiling water over one tea bag. Steep for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink as often as you like.
- Use on a full or empty stomach, as needed.
|Serving Size: 1 tea bag makes 8 fl oz brewed tea|
|Servings Per Container: 36|
|Amount Per Serving||% DV|
|Organic Peppermint Leaf||3.3 grams||*|
|*Daily Value not established.|
Cautions: For use under a physician’s supervision. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing. Keep out of reach of children. Store airtight in a cool, dry place. Organic product. Color variations are normal.